I am going to step away from my typical posts today to bring up a few subjects in the news that most of the nation can relate to over the past few days. There have been a few huge updates in technology, as well as some interesting info from the music industry. Below is a list of a few things that might interest you:
- Microsoft Announced a Windows 8 Tablet - Today, Microsoft made a surprise announcement (many of you on Twitter probably heard the “breaking news” via a tweet earlier today) that they are going to be releasing a series of “Surface Pro” tablets. These are going to be strong competitors in the market against the iPad and Android Tablet. I feel that it will come down to the Windows 8 software, as it always does with tech at that level.
- Apple Released an Expensive New MacBook Pro with “Retina Display” - The new display is supposed to be crystal clear and make reading, as well as moving objects, easier on the eyes. I personally couldn’t justify buying it for just this reason, especially at the 2k+ price tag. However, if you can afford the “Mac Tax” on this one, I’d be interested in hearing your review to compare with CNET’s, linked above.
- Another Court-Issued Block Against The Pirate Bay – If you haven’t seen the news on this already, and live in the UK, hopefully you don’t depend on The Pirate Bay for your torrents. I’m not talking illegal ones, but all content that you would have had access to previously. I don’t endorse illegal downloading of copyrighted content, but this is making many skeptical on what direction online security is headed in the near future with other website out there.
- Tupac Shakur’s Birthday – On June 16th, a rap legend that was shot down in the street years ago would have celebrated his 41st birthday. He is still recognized around the world for his art and passion for what he did, and you can actually relive it, either at a Dr. Dre concert or by checking out his holographic video from the Coachella Music Festival. It’s amazing what we can do with technology these days!
- Father’s Day 2012 – Okay, so this doesn’t necessarily count as tech news, but if you didn’t get a chance to see your father on his well-deserved day, try the link above for some kind words or quotes to send him. I always need to remind myself that no matter what day of the year it is, we should keep in contact with the folks we care about. Perhaps this could be a great topic to start a blog on?